Is Merseyside sport your passion?
Click Liverpool is an independent news site that has provided local news, sport, business and culture coverage since 2008. We want to continue delivering top-quality journalism and now you can get involved! Our established readership has grown both locally and across the world.
If you are an enthusiastic and diverse sports writer then we want to hear from you!
Successful candidates will research and write sports stories for a regional and local news website. You will be expected to cover football stories encompassing Liverpool FC, Everton FC and Tranmere Rovers as well as other local sports stories, be it boxing or athletics.
Our reporters will write up stories allocated to them by the news desk and then use our content management system to upload the stories to the website, subject to editorial approval.
Your role will be diverse. We will expect you to cover stories and produce a high standard of work across a number of different sporting fields, whilst bringing your own personal style to the site. You will be expected to multi-task, and organise your workload effectively whilst working to pre-set deadlines.
Click Liverpool requires multimedia journalists who are capable of recording and using cameras in order to gain images to support the pieces submitted to the site.
- Undertaking interviews in a diverse range of subjects and circumstances
- Seek out and even investigating developing stories
- Covering a variety of events, such as pre-match press conferences, training sessions and matches.
- Reacting to breaking news stories
- Work closely with the news team, photographers and editors; with some jobs involve working alongside other members of the team
- Record interviews and meetings using shorthand or technical equipment
- Take high quality photographs and videos to compliment your stories if needed
- Produce concise and accurate copy in accordance with Click Liverpool’s house style and to strict deadlines, similar to those imposed by those on daily newspapers desks
- Write short ‘fillers’ to entertain, and researching and writing longer feature articles.
- Create and upload news content for the website
- Produce ‘live’ online reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events – a growing area of work.
Successful candidates must possess many if not all of the following:
Print journalism training and/or experience
- Excellent written and presentation skills
- Good knowledge of Merseyside football
- Experience with live blogging
- Knowledge of image and video editing
- Experience with WordPress-based systems (preferred but not compulsory)
- Social media content experience
This position is open to those looking to gain valuable front-line experience in news journalism.
Please note candidates with a full clean driving licence and relevant journalism qualifications are preferred. Reasonable expenses will be afforded to the successful candidate.